Fortune Cookie Advice

DH and I stopped for Chinese yesterday at lunchtime. We have had a killer few days and an even longer weekend upcoming (we have to drive to Roanoke, VA (about 600 or so miles away for a funeral... leave Friday, be back Sunday). Anyway, my fortune was so-so, but I really liked what was in DH's cookie and thought it particularly appropriate to a writer: "A man who trims himself to suit everybody will soon whittle himself away." I started thinking about that in terms of my writing.

As you all know, I've been having trouble with the two longer works, "Lizzie" and "Fiona's Dream." I even have toyed with giving them up completely and working on polishing another novella I've actually finished. I don't know if there's a market for it or not, though. And, it is a novella, not a novel. So... am I wasting my time as well as my critique group's time?

I'm doing research and one publisher who DOES publish in this genre doesn't accept books without an agent. So... herein lies the rub. I'm in a quandary. Do I (as one of my friends suggested) write other novellas along the same lines and try to pitch them as a group to an agent? Do I finish Lizzie and Fiona if they kill me (and I'm telling you now, I'm rethinking their entire premises... not the basics, but the how-to's)? Do I stick with the Green Sister and get her out of the new mess she's gotten herself into and forget about "real" writing?

One thing I have done is print out a copy of these 'shalts' for writers. Now... if I can just remember to read and implement!!!

You know... I think I got away from what I originally planned to write about regarding that fortune cookie. Hmmm... I think I will change the name of my blog to Judy's Babblings.

Comments