Wednesday Blogging Challenge: Museums/Galleries I've Visited/Want to Visit






Wow, I knew I had missed several of these, but looking back I can't believe it's been SO LONG! So.... I'm jumping back in with both feet. Today's topic is museums or galleries I've visited or want to visit. Probably not the best one to jump into, because I've not seen an awful lot of museums. Not the big fancy ones anyway. I have been to some really neat small museums, though. Here are a few (you can click the images for more information):

1.

If this looks like a church, it's because it originally was. It's 120 years old, was the Methodist Church, and was the first brick church built in the community at the turn of the last century. Legend has it that the building was constructed with brick instead of lumber to protect it from lumbermen and turpentiners, customers and good friends of local frame saloon owners, who burned down wooden churches while they were still under construction. It is now known as "The Sid" (The Syd Blackmarr Arts Center) that houses the Tifton Council for the Arts. Both weekly and monthly art classes are offered there along with various events throughout the year.

2.
Carrabelle History Museum, in Carrabelle, Florida, is located in the Old Carrabelle City Hall, built by local mason Marvin Justiss in 1933 during the Depression as a work program to employ locals. This month there's an exhibit featuring an exploration of the legend of Tate’s Hell, shedding light on the misadventures and fate of Cebe Tate, and the intriguing origins behind the name of Tate's Hell State Forest. You can read the legend here.

3.
Camp Gordon Johnston World War 2 Museum is dedicated to sharing the real stories of the dedication, fears and heroism of the quarter of a million men who served and trained at Camp Gordon Johnston, where they trained for the Normandy Invasion.

Comments

  1. I never used to be into the war history stuff, but the older I get the more I find I'm fascinated by it. I'm turning into my dad for sure. He loved war museums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:54 AM

    Welcome back, Judy!

    “The Sid" looks like such a cool place to visit.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That repurposed church is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all such cool places. Taking an art class in The Sid would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your choice of the more off the beaten path selections. A cool list

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment