Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Hobbies I Used to Enjoy






Life is so busy these days.... work, house chores, outside chores. I remember a time when I actually had time for hobbies. Not so much any more (I'm trying to get my life a little better organized/balanced so maybe I'll have time for hobbies once again!). But, here are some things I used to enjoy doing when I had the time to do them.

1. Counted cross-stitch. I made ornaments one year and that was fun. I did pick that up again in the last few months, but have realized my eyes aren't as good as they once were. If I pick this again, I need to get the larger gauge. I'm still pondering on that.

2. Crochet. I've made blankets for each of the grandkids and kids. I enjoy doing it... it gives me something to do with my hands when we are watching something on TV, but again... not quite sure what to make at this point. I love doing afghans; maybe I'll do another set for each person in my family. I also like the idea of a temperature afghan for the year of their birth, so that's an option.

3. Painting. This is a relatively new hobby, but it's a lifelong interest. I used to sketch when I was a kid and still doodle when I'm listening to something. This is definitely one I'm planning on making time for this year. We have a bedroom that needs work and, when we're done, instead of a traditional guest room, we're going to have a bed someting like this, and that room will then become my hobby room. I already have an easel and canvases... now just to make it useful. Our second extra bedroom already has a similar bed and is my husband's hobby room :-)

So, those are a few hobbies I used to enjoy...and hopefully will find some spare time to enjoy hobbies again. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:30 AM

    What fun hobbies. I hope you can get back into them sometime soon.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy painting, my father was a painter, he used to love compressing time that way. I do that with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could paint. I longed to draw and paint when I was a kid. But, alas, I was rubbish. I found my creative outlet though, and that's the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody I know who does cross-stitch or crochet really enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:32 PM

    Great hobbies -- Love the idea of a temperature afghan, though probably more exciting when one lives in a place with true seasons. My father lived in Monterey CA at one point and the color would probably be pretty consistent all year round for someone born there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:25 AM

    Cross stitch brings back memories of sewing classes in high school. We used it on gingham to decorate our cooking apron. I remember
    Bet making placemats too. I wasn’t good on counting so I found it a little challenging. Hope you get some time to enjoy some hobbies again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travellingmcs7:27 AM

    Thought I’d try to comment again with my name :) Cross stitch brings back memories of sewing classes in high school. We used it on gingham to decorate our cooking apron. I remember
    Bet making placemats too. I wasn’t good on counting so I found it a little challenging. Hope you get some time to enjoy some hobbies again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cross stitch always looks so awesome - it's one of those things I'd love to pick up but have NO IDEA how to do it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of these! I just started crocheting in the autumn and have found it pretty easy to learn (thanks to YouTube!) and I agree it's wonderful to do with your hands while watching something! I have to look into the temperature blanket idea - I keep seeing people talking about it but am not really sure what it is! I hope you do get back to some of these hobbies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment