Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: My Winter Holiday Traditions






I love, love, love, LOVE Christmas. I love decorating inside the house and outside the house. I love Christmas movies, hot chocolate, a fire in the fireplace. There is nothing about Christmas I do not like.

I wasn't feeling much in the Christmas spirit, though, this year. My mama passed away in September, a week before she turned 91, and it was largely due to her influence I enjoy Christmas so much. I was having trouble feeling it this year. But, my husband loves for me to decorate, and I knew that she would be disappointed if I did not decorate this year. She loved coming home for Christmas and spending the day with whoever was able to be there.

So, I am decorating, but a little bit differently this year. Normally, I put out my ever-growing Christmas village, my also ever-growing Santa Clause collection (see pictures from last year below), and my snowmen collection (ditto).  I can't resist looking for new Christmas decorations everywhere I go. It's a compulsion my husband thinks might be out of control...lol. Oh well.



However, my mama collected nativity scenes, and adding that to the mix was going to be a little overwhelming (even for me...who believes that Christmas should look like joy threw up all over the house). So.... I have a solution.

I already alternate tree decoration colors. One year, I feature red and gold, the next blue and silver. So, I'm just expanding that. Odd years, I will feature blue/silver, my snowman collection (see below) and Mama's nativity scenes (still a work in progress). Even years, red/gold, Santa collection, and the Christmas village.



Things may be different, but the love remains the same.

And, that's what Christmas is all about.

Comments

  1. I feel similarly, Judy. My Nanna loved Christmas and she just had this way of making the holidays magical. So we're doing things a little differently this year, too. It's certainly a strange one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed....I've always heard that the firsts are the hardest, and they aren't wrong. Keeping some old traditions alive and making some new ones.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:58 AM

    I’m sorry for your loss. Those are some nice decorations. May you have a wonderful Christmas.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. You as well!

      Delete
  3. Empathy hugs...There was a huge hole in my Thanksgiving without Mother. I hope you and your husband can start some new traditions of your own.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment