Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Favorite Historical Personage to Read About




If it's Wednesday, it must be time for the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. Today's topic is "my favorite historical personage to read about." Click here to see the rest of the topics for the year.

I absolutely adore Elizabet I... and, what's not to love. She was a strong woman at a time when it was definitely not an easy thing to be. There are mysteries that surround her life, but she impacted not only English life, but the whole world.



I love historical books about her, and she's one of the few people I will read nonfiction about. If you've read the blog long, you'll know I'm a fiction gal all the way.

And, you'll also know that one of my favorite genres is mysteries, so I also love the fact that she's featured in her own mystery series and a series featuring one of Elizabeth's ladies-in-waiting.

Do you have a favorite book about Elizabeth I? Share the love!

Comments

  1. Yeah, she's an interesting figure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you recommend some good books (or films? Or what have you?) about Elizabeth I? I don’t know a lot about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't know THAT much about her... shame on me. Especially since I am intrigued by the British monarchy as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth Jenkins has a fine biography, Elizabeth the Great. A BBC production in the 1970's starred Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth and was based on this book. Jackson was Elizabeth in the 1970's movie Mary Queen of Scots with Vanessa Redgrave as Mary. There's a series on starring Hellen Mirren in 2005 and a newer one 2017. There are the movies too many to count.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's one that I'm vaguely familiar with, but mostly in the broad outlines. It would definitely be worth doing more reading about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth is a titan. I disagree with a lot of what she did, particularly the oppression of Catholics (and I'm no less critical of Mary and Protestants), but she was effective. It's a bit like praising Napoleon -- one doesn't have to like him, but there's no denying his talent and accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenkins, "Elizabeth and Leicester." It's a biography--maybe a bit partisan toward Leicester, but I'm a bit partial to him too,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read SO many biographies of Elizabeth, and studied her on a couple of my modules of my degree so far. I kinda love her! The most recent I read was Elizabeth: Apprenticeship by David Starkey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment