Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Something I'm Proud of Doing




This is an interesting topic. I was thinking of things I enjoy doing and I'm not NOT proud about them... but I think I wanted to go out of my comfort zone for this. There is one thing that I'm very proud of.... but first, a bit of a backstory.

My dad was in the Navy and when I was little, we were stationed in Port Lyautey, Morocco.



In fact, my younger sister was born in Morocco. Weren't we cute?:



While we lived there (we lived on base), I had been given a puppy. It bit me just above my right eye. Because it had not yet had its shots (and was from the village, not the base) , the doctors had me go through the rabies series of shots. Not suprisingly, I developed a severe needle phobia (to the extent that when the nurses came around to the elementary schools to do TB tests, I was so panicked, I didn't receive one...and that's an entirely different story!)

When I got older, I decided I was not going to let a needle phobia control my life, so as soon as I could, I started giving blood. Moment of truth here.... I cannot watch any of the process. BUT, I give blood now on a regular basis. Not only am I proud of helping other people (there is a dire need for blood donations....according to the Red Cross only about 3% of eligible adults donate early, but I'm very proud of facing my fear and taking steps to overcome it. And, maybe one day, I'll even be able to watch them insert the needle in my arm!

Comments

  1. I've heard horror stories about those rabies shots...

    Also, FYI, I'm not needle phobic, but I can't watch when they jab me. Afterwards, I can stare at the needle in my arm, but not during the process. Good for you for facing your fears (and for giving blood).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blood donation is an incredible thing to do, Judy! Well done for overcoming your phobia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a needle phobia, too. What you did was so brave. I’m proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a better way to challenge your fears. That is precious in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very noble way of overcoming your fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's worth being proud of. I need to get back to giving blood. I've missed the last couple of opportunities because I can never seem to find my account number when I'm trying to sign up, and that's... not a very good reason. Especially when I'm allowed to donate at work, on the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not phobic, but I've never been able to watch the needle go in. Unfortunately I'm a horrible stick, so needles going in involve a lot of poking around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment