Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: What I Think of New Year's Resolutions




New Year's Resolutions.... people love them or hate them. Some people who don't love resolutions do "goals." I was wondering if we're just talking symantics, so I checked at dictionary.com.

Goal: the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end:
Resolution: a resolve; a decision or determination:

They are almost two sides of the same coin. The difference seems to be that resolutions are broad.... where goals can be broken into short term plans. I resolve to lose weight...my goal is to include more salads and vegetables in my diet and eat less cakes and candies.

I thik a lot of people set resolutions and then get discouraged... because their resolution is all or nothing, where goals can contantly be shifting and changing. Also, nothing magical happens at the stroke of midnight to make you a different person.... to make it suddenly more appealing to tuck into a salad than eating that wonderful meal of fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. (don't I wish it did though?)

So... what do I think of New Year's Resolutions? Follow them up with goals to help you accomplish what you want and then resolve away!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I couldn’t agree with you more!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never considered that goals and resolutions might mean something different. I always took it to mean the same thing. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you analyzed it! I'm one of the haters of Resolution and llovers of goals. If it makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good way of looking at it ... and I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking something similar when I did my post. It's like, "Whelp, it's the fourth of January and I had a sliver of cake, guess that resolution's out the window now!". Which isn't a good way to look at anything. LOL

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great attitude towards resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a goals gal! I had a very detail-oriented job when I was working (many moons ago). I had to write workflows for my terminal. I feel better with broken-down goals than thinking about resolutions! I didn't know there was an official difference, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to think of goals as more concrete, which helps; resolutions can get kind of vague and grandiose. Of the two, I definitely prefer goals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment