Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: What Makes Me Pick Up a Book?

div class="separator">



First, let me admit that I don't buy a LOT of books. I do have some auto-buys, but for a new author, I tend to pick them up from the library first.

The first thing that attracts me is the cover. It has to pull me in or entice me. I don't really have any objective criteria for this... it's just a gut feeling.

Then I look at the back blurb. That's not the final determination, though. If the blurb pulls me in, there's one more test.

I read the first few paragraphs. And then, and only then, will I choose the book.

But, the first draw for an author I don't know will always be the cover.

Comments

  1. That all makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, God, library books have even MORE reasons I'll pick it up. One of my favourite things to do is look at the recently returned cart and see what other people have been reading.

    Titles and covers definitely draw me in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that to be less true as I've moved more completely over to ebooks, but covers are a definite draw any time I'm looking at paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pick up a book if it sci-fic or fantasy by a particular author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always download a sample first if it's a Kindle book. I have to try before I buy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment