Wednesday Weekly Blogging: Required Reading in School - Yea or Nay?




I loved required reading in school... heck, any excluse to read, right? And I have to admit, I discovered a lot of books I might not have ever read if it weren't for the fact that it was required. Also this question doesn't really specify whether it's summer reading or required reading during teh school year. And, of course, there books that should be required during the school year... I mean, after all, how can you study a book if you don't read it?

re: summer reading. I do believe that kids need to continue reading over the summer break. I know that there are those of us who love to read will read regardless, but there are kids who would not pick up a book if it's not required. On the other hand, there might be some who don't read regardless, required or not. And, how can you make sure they really have read?

Will the schools supply the books? What about kids whose parents are struggling to pay bills?

So many questions.... and I don't have answers. I am interested in hearing your thoughts, though.

Comments

  1. I discovered a lot of good books through required reading, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so on point that just requiring that kids read books is just the start of the process. They need to get copies, be encourage to read, be supported if the struggle. Nothing is every really as simple as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to recall our school provided the books, so at least there was that if parents couldn't afford it. It's a good point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment