Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Books to Include in a Time Capsule and Why




Today's topic - books to include in a time capsule and why - is not an easy one. Do we want to include books that are popular so readers in the future can see what we enjoyed? Do we want to include books that are contemporary so people can see how we lived in this day and time? I guess part of the decision would depend on how long the time capsule would be closed.

While thinking, I googled and found this really neat article on authors who have pledged to write a book that will not be published for another century.

How to pick what is important to us now? What do we want the future to know about us?

I think I would definitely include a copy of the Bible (and as much as I love the poetry of the King James Version, I would definitely choose a more contemporary translation). A copy of the Constitution.

When I think back about books I've read that really stuck with me, I think of The Secret Life of Bees.

And, of course, we can't leave out such classics at The Wind and the Willows.

What about you?

Comments

  1. Yeah, I heard about that. What a cool project. I hope people living a century from now will enjoy those books. I’m just a teensy bit jealous of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked the Bible too, and thought about the Constitution. It seems important to leave behind books that influenced so many people and how we structured society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bible is an interesting pick, and the more I think about it the more I think that it would be worthwhile to include various translations for the sake of comparison. I guarantee you that some future scholar would thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bible is definitely a good pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wind in the Willows is a great story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment