Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Books I Had to Read in School and Liked



Today's post is the opposite of a couple of weeks ago... Books I Had to Read in School and Didn't Like. Today we are talking about the books I did like.. and there were a whole lot more of them. I enjoyed my English classes so much that I decided to major in English in college.

Some of the books I enjoyed then, I still enjoy to this day-- classics all. So, in no particular order, some of the books I really enjoyed in high school:

The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne - delightfully creepy.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - I know a lot of people did not like this book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - have always loved futuristic/SF type books and this was no exception.

1984 by George Orwell - see above.

MacBeth by William Shakespeare - actually, anything by Shakespeare. I had a wonderful teacher for Shakespeare and he really made the plays come alive.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - it made me cry and I loved it.

There are many many more but it's been ::::muffled sounds:::: years since I was in high school and names escape me. There are some on this list it's been many a year since I've read... I'm not normally a re-reader, but I see some in my future.

What about you? What books did you enjoy reading in school?

Comments

  1. I liked all of those books, too! Although I think I need to reread The House of the Seven Gables since I don't remember much about it anymore. :)

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I picked some of the same, 1984 and Macbeth. Brave New World was a great one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how some of the same books are on the one about hated, just a perspective thing. I enjoyed taking a role and reading Shakespeare aloud. It was better than SSR (sustained silent reading) and a test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flowers for Algernon... I haven't read it, but the tot did and telling me about it made me tear up. Lol! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books by Nathaniel Hawthorne I enjoyed too. I"d forgotten about The House of The Seven Gables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really enjoyed The Scarlet Letter, too! Need to pick up that other Hawthorne you mentioned though. Love a good, creepy story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on 1984 and Brave New World. Couldn't get into The Scarlet Letter though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment