Wednesday Weekly Blogging: Fictional Worlds I'd Rather Not Visit


I love reading about different worlds - fantasy is one of my favorite genres. However, some of the worlds can be less than inviting to actually live in -- visiting via reading is another thing.

The first that comes to mind is, surprisingly enough, Narnia, but only when it's under the control of the White Witch (I am not a big fan of winter and cold weather-- and a world without Christmas?? Horror!!)

On the other end of the spectrum, I would not like to visit Dune either. Described in Wikipedia as "an inhospitable and sparsely populated desert wasteland," I know I would miss the green plants and flowers. I'm not up for extreme vacations. Give me comfort any day!

Another location I'm not sure I would be excited to visit, even though I love the books, is the Ireland of Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. I love Ireland... I love bookstores. But the Fever Ireland is a lot darker place than I want to spend time in physically. Now.... mentally in the book? That's a while 'nother story! lol

What about you? Are there any fictional worlds you would rather not visit?

Click on the banner to play along!

Comments

  1. Yeah, I wouldn't want to see Narnia when it was under the control of the White Witch either. That does not sound pleasant.

    Dune is another great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I forgot about Dune - never read the book, just saw the dumb movie. I wouldn't want to live someplace like that - not the way I sweat! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't think you and I are "opposites" but I did list Narnia as a place I'd like to be. Guess cause I loved the Lion:)

    Here's my post: http://www.ourtownbookreviews.com/2019/02/fictional-universes-id-rather-not-visit_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Narnia had Mr. Tumnus (James McAvoy). I'd warm up with him and deal with the wrath of the Witch. But I get the Dune reasoning. Too hot is not cool. HAHAHAAH!
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're the same! LOL... I've never read Karen M.'s books though. Honestly, I could have listed another 20 fictional places where I didn't want to live, but I figured I should stop with only a few!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed at Dune because having grown up in the desert, this is the norm for me, even if not to that extreme. I do agree with Narnia as well.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Narnia and Dune get mentioned a lot. I guess the consensus is that extreme climates suck.
    https://echoishiizone.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/fictional-worlds-id-rather-not-visit/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never actually read Narnia or Dune. I should get around to it sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment