Welcome to this week's installment of Long and Short Reviews' Saturday Seven. I've shared in the past few some of my favorite books or books that are on my TBR list, and people have commented about the range of genres. And, it's true-- I have eclectic tastes in books, movies, food, etc. Here are seven of my favorite genres:
1. Romantic suspense: "...a novel with a story that is driven equally and simultaneously by the threat of danger and the promise of romance." (Auto Crit) Some of my favorite romantic suspense authors include: J.D. Robb, Anne Stuart, Lisa Jackson, Mary Burton, Heather Graham
2. Paranormal/fantasy romance: "Paranormal romance focuses on romantic love and includes elements beyond the range of scientific explanation, blending together themes from the speculative fiction genres of fantasy, science fiction, and horror." (Wikipedia) Some of my favorite paranormal romance authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, Alyssa Day, Meg Cabot, P.C. and Kristin Cast.
3. Mystery: "...a type of fiction in which a detective, or other professional, solves a crime or series of crimes." (Study.com. I expand this to include cozy romances, in which the person who solves the crime is not necessarily a professional. Some of my favorite authors include Agatha Christie, P.D. James, Ngaio Marsh, Arthur Conan Doyle, Deborah Harkness, Karin Slaughter, Estelle Ryan, Robert Galbraith
4. Science Fiction: "Science fiction (often shortened to SF or sci-fi) is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life." (Wikipedia) This genre is often included with Fantasy, but for this purpose I'm separating the two. Some of my favorite SF authors include Douglas Adams, Poul Anderson, Piers Anthony, Isaac Asimov, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Orsen Scott Card.
5. Fantasy: "...a genre of fiction set in a fictional universe, often, but not always, without any locations, events, or people referencing the real world." (Fantasy) Some of my favorite fantasy authors are Terry Brooks, Susan Cooper, Stephen Donaldson, David Eddings, Diana Gabaldon,Anne McCaffrey
6. Horror: "...a genre of fiction which is intended to, or has the capacity to frighten, scare, disgust, or startle its readers or viewers by inducing feelings of horror and terror." (Wikipedia) Some of my favorite horror authors include Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker, Peter Straub, Joe Hill, Douglas Clegg
7. Young Adult: "...fiction published for readers in their youth." (Wikipedia) Okay, so I admit it.. I've not yet grown up, and there is a lot of YA writers I really enjoy! Some of them include: Cornelia Funk, Madeleine L'Engle, Gail Carson Levine, Lois Lowery, Veronica Roth, J.K. Rowling, Cassandra Clare, Suzanne Collins.
There can be a lot of mixing and mingling between genres and the authors themselves could be considered to be included in more than one category. But, these are just a few of the authors and genres I enjoy. What about you? Let me know here of any authors you enjoy in these different categories -- or put them on your own blog, click on the banner, and join Saturday Seven and let me know so I can come visit!!