Green Sister 27

Just as Lee got into the car, Janna and Mark reached it and Janna grabbed the door handle as Lee tried to shut the door.

"Nice try, cuz," she said, as she pulled the door open and she and Mark got in the backseat with Lee. "I'm a lot quicker now than I was when I was six."

Lee smile wryly. "Well, you can't blame a guy for trying. Mother will have my head if anything happens to you. She nearly did the last time. The three of us are the only ones left, so..."

"I can take care of myself."

Mark broke in. "I hate to break up this happy family reunion, but will someone tell me what's going on? What does all this have to do with looking for Ann and getting an interview?"

Lee snorted a laugh. "Is that what she told you? She's always dreaming up some hairbrained reason for getting involved in things that don't concern her."

"I DID come to Falstaff to talk to Ann. I have some questions about the next book I'm going to write." Even to Janna, her tone lacked conviction.

"Oh, I don't doubt you want to talk to Ann Vivane," her cousin said calmly. "I just don't think it has anything to do with your books. I think, somehow, you've managed to find out what she's been doing."

"Doing?" both Janna and Mark echoed, the surprise evident in their voices.

Lee looked at them with consternation. "You really DON'T know what's going on, do you?"

Comments