Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Favorite Songs or Musicians



What a fun topic! Much like my eclectic reading tastes, my tastes in music are all over the place. I just love music - no matter what the genre. Well, almost. Sorry all your rap fans....I just can't get behind that as music. Call it spoken art...that works better for me (I know, who cares what I think... no one asked my opinion).

I don't know that I have favorites per se. I do admit to having a special fondness for Home Free, but that's mainly because Austin is a home town boy. I'm friends with his family and... he's just so dadgum cute.



And, here's a great cover they do:



I grew up in the 60s... so I love what is now referred to as "oldies"....who didn't love Elvis? (well.. my mom liked listening to him...she wasn't crazy about watching him... lol):



And, of course, there were The Beatles.... however, I preferred The Monkees:



I'm also a theatre nerd and absolutely love show tunes. One of my favorite musicals is the Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella with Leslie Ann Warren. This is one of my favorite songs from that (I love all of them!!):



I could fill a whole post with the musicals I love: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oklahoma, Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, The King and I, ... the list goes on and on.

I also enjoy opera...Gilbert and Sullivan is a lot of fun:



This is one of my very favorite pieces from Puccino's Gianni Schicchi:



This post is getting long... lol.. I warned you! I seem to go by the song, not the genre. If a song speaks to me in some way, I enjoy it. After all, that's the purpose of music. I love being alone in the house, cranking up Pandora, and going to town dancing my way through cleaning :-)

What about you?

Comments

  1. Gilbert and Sullivan is always fun to listen to! My mother-in-law loves musicals, so I've gotten quite the informal education in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge fan of the Monkees, Judy! And I forgot about all the wonderful musicals, like Cinderella. Now I'm singing one of the songs, haha! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share several of your likes. Elvis Presley will always be the King of Rock 'N Roll. Love him. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine.https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesday-blogging-challenge-favorite-songs-or-musicians/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the Monkeys and Cinderella. Saw Cinderella in concert, wow what a rush. Great show. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesday-blogging-challenge-favorite-songs-or-musicians/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife has over 50 Elvis albums. We sold most of our Vinyl albums, but she won't be parted from her Elvis. We watch his movies on his birthday and anniversary of his death.
    I liked the Monkees too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always feel a little left behind when it comes to theater and showtunes; my parents enjoyed them, and I grew up hearing them secondhand, but somehow I never quite got introduced to them directly. (On the other hand, I used to be able to sing the entire soundtrack to The Little Mermaid from memory, so make of that what you will.)

    My answer to the prompt is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother is a huge Elvis fan! Although, as much as I do love The Beatles, I definitely preferred The Monkees. Both of my parents are/were big fans of musicals. My dad's favorite movie was actually The Music Man, so I got a lot of that growing up.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Monkees. I got to see three of them on tour about 15 years ago and it was a blast. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up listening to Gilbert and Sullivan while I cleaned house every Saturday. To my chagrin, I can do a falsetto to mimic a soprano, but my real voice is a low alto--more like a tenor. But I don't care for musicals. Mom loved opera, but would turn the sound down during movies when people started to sing.

    My oldest son loved the Monkees when he was in 4th grade and his teacher would let them eat lunch in the classroom on Fridays, and he'd use the band as his soundtrack while they hung out. Fun times for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know HOME FREE! They're on YouTube. They're great.
    My favorite Monkees song was Daydream Believer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love musicals and Gilbert and Sullivan. I've been in Trial by Jury a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment