Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Books that Influenced My Life



Thinking back over my (ahem) number of years, I have read and loved many, many books. Some have stayed with me a lifetime, others gave me enjoyment for a short while, while still others didn't "ring my bells." But, books that have influenced me. That's a whole 'nother topic.

I'm going to cheat a bit here and not list specific books... but mostly the authors of said books. One of the first authors I can remember that has influenced me was C.S. Lewis. From The Screwtape Letters to Mere Christianity, from The Chronicles of Narnia to The Pilgrim's Regress, his thoughts on spirituality has really stuck with me and influenced my own beliefs.

Lucy Maud Montgomery, in her Anne books, inspired me to not only use my imagination but also to search out "kindred spirits" with whom to share my life. Life is too short to settle for less than those people who uplift you.

In much the same way, Little Women (and Jo specifically) inspired me to not give up on my dreams...and to know that sitting in a tree, eating apples, and concentrating on "my scribblings" is not a bad way to spend a day.

What about you? What books have inspired your life?

Comments

  1. I remember the first time I read "The Screwtape Letters". What an amazing book!

    I will probably be in the minority here, but I just was never a fan of "Little Women" partly because it was so sad in parts, and partly because Jo ended up with the wrong guy (even as a little, I was a romantic..)

    Neat choices!

    I'm here today: http://www.mariannearkins.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-books-that-influenced-my-life/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list. Although I must agree with Marianne about Jo ending up with the wrong guy. Ha!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you've read other books by Lewis other than Narnia. Mere Christianity had a profound influence on me and did Surprised by Joy. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2019/11/wednesday-challenge-books-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom insisted on reading us, chapter by chapter at night, the entire Narnia series. Entire series. She also read to us the Wizard of Oz books. Love those. Good list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your choices. Little Women is one of my all time favorites! Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesdays-blog-challenge-books-that-influenced-my-life/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably should have went with authors, too, but rather ran with series for the most part. Great list of books though! Narnia was introduced to me by my long-time BFF and I'm really glad she did.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't actually read any of those, though I do find C.S. Lewis a fascinating character. I love the variety of answers that these prompts elicit, especially when they're so very personal.

    My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, the Anne books. I agree on kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment