Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Recipes from fiction books I want to try



I saw this topic and immediately thought of one of my favorite books OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon... time travel, Scotland....surely as I had been reading them I would have found mention of a food I would have liked to have created. However, it's been so long since I read them, nothing came to mind. So, what to do? what to do? Google, of course!

I found this site. Hmmm... not much help there. It purportedly is a list of all the food mentioned in the books as well as where they are mentioned. Most of the ones that sound good, I've made. There is that Pigeon minced with truffles - Claire and Jamie eat hot rolls stuffed with pigeon minced with truffles while staying at Madaem Jeanne's in Edinburgh (V, chapter 28) hmmmm

Okay... plan B.

There is this wonderful little cookbook Outlander Kitchen:

Claire Beauchamp Randall’s incredible journey from postwar Britain to eighteenth-century Scotland and France is a feast for all five senses, and taste is no exception. From Claire’s first lonely bowl of porridge at Castle Leoch to the decadent roast beef served after her hasty wedding to Highland warrior Jamie Fraser, from gypsy stew and jam tarts to fried chicken and buttermilk drop biscuits, there are enough mouth-watering meals along the way to whet the appetite of even the most demanding palate.

Now professional chef and founder of Outlander Kitchen Theresa Carle-Sanders offers up this extraordinary cuisine for your table. Featuring more than one hundred recipes, Outlander Kitchen retells Claire and Jamie’s incredible story through the flavors of the Scottish Highlands, the French Revolution, and beyond. Yet amateur chefs need not fear: These doable, delectable recipes have been updated for today’s modern kitchens. Here are just a few of the dishes that will keep the world of Outlander on your mind morning, noon, and nicht:

• Breakfast: Yeasted Buckwheat Pancakes; A Coddled Egg for Duncan; Bacon, Asparagus, and Wild Mushroom Omelette
• Appetizers: Cheese Savories; Rolls with Pigeons and Truffles; Beer-Battered Corn Fritters
• Soups and Stocks: Cock-a-Leekie Soup; Murphy’s Beef Broth; Drunken Mock-Turtle Soup
• Mains: Peppery Oyster Stew; Slow-Cooked Chicken Fricassee; Conspirators’ Cassoulet
• Sides: Auld Ian’s Buttered Leeks; Matchstick Cold-Oil Fries; Honey-Roasted Butternut Squash
• Bread and Baking: Pumpkin Seed and Herb Oatcakes; Fiona’s Cinnamon Scones; Jocasta’s Auld Country Bannocks
• Sweets and Desserts: Black Jack Randall’s Dark Chocolate Lavender Fudge; Warm Almond Pastry with Father Anselm; Banoffee Trifle at River Run

With full-color photographs and plenty of extras—including cocktails, condiments, and preserves—Outlander Kitchen is an entertainment experience to savor, a wide-ranging culinary crash course, and a time machine all rolled into one. Forget bon appétit. As the Scots say, ith do leòr!

Okay..that is so going on my wishlist!!

And look... again with the Rolls with Pigeons and Truffles.... see y'all next week. I'm off to find out where to find pigeons and truffles!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate and have a great weekend to everyone else!

Comments

  1. They left that out of the TV series. Glad to know there's more to Scottish cuisine than Haggis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right... lol. I'm always up for trying anything new.... when I visited Scotland and Ireland, I ate blood pudding. Didn't have a chance to try haggis, but I probably would have-- just to say I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that cookbook sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pigeons ... hmmm, could sub cornish game hens, I imagine.

    And while truffles are *technically* a mushroom that's like saying Folgers is *technically* coffee ( ::: gag ::: ), in order to get the real effect, you'd probably have to spring for them (and they are not cheap).

    Good luck and enjoy your cookbook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole thing looks yummy, so thanks! I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound interesting; I have a setting where one of the regions is known for serving meals in bread, so pigeons and truffles in hot rolls would fit right in.

    My answer was here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me late faither from Glesga said there's only one right way to eat haggis, and it involves putting a gun on the table in between two friends. One holds it to your head to make you eat it. Then you hold it to his head to make him eat it. LOL. He loved mince, which was cooked ground beer with a can of peas and carrots in it--served over a boiled dumpling. He never met a spice he enjoyed, except maybe cinnamon--rarely. Growing up in a house where we had to eat what he liked was very boring. I didn't mind the meat pies we'd get from the Gaelic Imports store in Chicago. I do love shortbread, and I make it every year for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment