Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Reason Why I Stopped Reading a Series I Liked



It takes a lot to make me stop reading a series... I love getting involved with the characters and following them, finding out what they are up to. However, there are a couple that I stopped reading -- one for good and the other for a period of time. The latter I eventually picked back up, but did not follow it quite as faithfully.

The second I mentioned was Karin Slaughter's Grant County series. My husband bought me the first book in the series while I was recuperating from the flu. Y'all, I loved this series. I loved Sara. I loved Jeffery. I loved Lena. I loved Sara and Jeffery together. And then...Karin killed Jeffery off (that is not a spoiler, btw... she was very open about it when it happened...she even wrote a letter about it). But, I have to admit..l I was heartbroken. On one level, I get it. Karin does not write romances...she writes mysteries. But, I felt like I had lost a member of my family. It has taken me a while to get back to reading any of Karin's works... but I have. And, I'm enjoying them (but I still miss Jeffery).

The other book I really enjoyed the first few books I read... the Stephanie Plum series. They were cute... they were fun... the ensemble characters were a hoot...so what happened? Dear Stephanie just cannot learn from her mistakes. And, after a while, it wasn't cute, just annoying. And, sorry Ms. Evanovich..that's when you lost me. Maybe one day I'll pick it back up (and I have to admit, in audio it wasn't quite as annoying as when I was reading it...so if I go back to the series, I'll stick with audio books).

What about you?

Comments

  1. I'll admit while the Evanovich books are getting a little repetitious and she should really make a damn decision beteen MOretti and Ranger, the book sstill make me laugh out loud. esp. Grandma Mazur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those things would irritate me, too! I don't blame you one bit.

    My <a href="https://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-reasons-why-i-stopped-reading-a-series-i-loved/”>post</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some I've strayed from because I just strayed. It happens. But I know how it feels to have a character die and feel bereft because of it. Hugs!! I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly with Stephanie Plum. For heaven sakes make a decision. But hers have gotten so repetitious, I just can't get then. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine.https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesdays-blog-challenge-reason-why-i-stopped-reading-a-series-i-loved/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, Judy. I haven't read either of the authors because one my friends said exactly the same about the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There seems to be a fine line with a series, you fall in love with a character and then don't like the way they change over the series, at the same time readers don't like characters that don't wise up or grow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think as long as the change makes sense (and doesn't kill them...lol) that most readers can see that. But blindsiding readers with something out of the blue....that's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read either of those series'. Now I won't have to. Thanks for sharing your reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The author killed off one of my favorite characters" strikes me as a perfectly good reason to leave off a series. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still sticking with Stephanie Plum, but I understand what you mean. I would like to see her character grow and please, just pick a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only read the first Stephanie Plum but I have friends who are huge fans and I hear grumblings about the love triangle wearing them out. So I don't think you're alone with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like it when favourite characters get killed off either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen Stephanie Plum mentioned more than once this week. It seems a love-hate kind of thing going on. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment