Wednesday Blogging Challenge: The Weirdest Thing I Learned Reading Fiction



I am... or used to be... my hubby isn't a game player and there's not really a lot of people around for me to play with.... a pretty good Trivia player (Trivial Pursuit, anyone?). And, I've garnered a lot of useless information in my life and most of it comes from reading fiction (because I'm not much of a non-fiction reader).

Not sure how weird they are, but here from my cluttered mind and in no particular order (and don't ask me what book they come from, because I can't tell you)...somethings I learned reading fiction:

Don't wear blue if you are going to be around tsetse flies... apparently they are attracted to it (hey, it's my favorite color, too, so who can blame them?)

I know how to bake apples and potatoes in a fire... sometimes in the winter we do that when the fireplace is lit, just for a lark. The fact might not be weird, but the fact we actually do it... yeah, maybe that.

Various and sundry odd facts about different countries and cultures... can I think of them off the top of my head? Of course not... but I know they are there...lol.

I have also learned recipes...maybe not from the book itself, but if I see a dish named I think I would like, Google is our friend and I can usually find it... ta da!

What about you? Have you learned anything from the fiction you've read?

Comments

  1. What's the trick to baking apples in a fire? I think the trick for potatoes is piercing them with a fork first so they don't explode. Am I right?

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-the-weirdest-thing-i-learned-reading-fiction/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'd like to learn how to bake apples and potatoes over a fire, too. Enjoyed your post, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I love that you actually do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's neat how you make apples in the fire that way. I'd love to learn how. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked apples with lots of cinnamon. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-weirdest-thing-ive-learned-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been camping with the husband for almost 40 years, and he can cook anything over a fire, including home-made pizza. And there was his prized invention (to our kids) S'more pie. He made a graham crumbs and butter crust, then melted chocolate in the baked crust, then covered the whole thing in marshmallows and covered with foil so it would melt. Then there was the S'moughnuts, which they invented together, involving two donuts, chocolate bars, and marshmallows. I overdose on sugar just thinking about it! Watching them eat it was truly weird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I LOVE Trivial Pursuit! That's got to be my favorite game. Interesting things to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Don't wear blue if you are going to be around tsetse flies." I'll have to file that one away for when we go on safari. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of baking apples and potatoes over a fire. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment