Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Characters I would Not Like to Meet


This week's challenge it to talk about characters you don't want to meet. Much as I did with the challenge a few weeks back of characters I would like to meet, I find myself going back a ways. A friend (waving at Marianne) commented that the stories we read as a kid often stick with us the most because they get into long term memory and often have emotions attached. Makes sense to me.

Some of the people I think of that I would not like to meet include:

Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker from James and the Giant Peach: I can not abide cruelty... and these two had it in spades! I was glad they were flattened by the peach.

Miss Trunchbull from Matilda: Staying with Roald Dahl (he could certainly write a horrible character)! WORSE. TEACHER. EVER.

Bertha Mason from Jane Eyre: Rochester's first wife... crazy as a s***house rat. And violent. I feel sorry for her (after all, her parents and Rochester's family orchestrated the wedding and she should have gotten help, but I still don't want to meet her.

Mr. Collins from Pride and Prejudice: The heir to the Bennett's property, Mr. Collins is obsequious and smarmy, and absolutely believes that one of his cousins will marry him to secure a home. He gives me the shivers.

What about you? Who are some fictional characters you would like to never ever meet?

Comments

  1. I thought about Mr. Collins and I hate people that assume they are special but...I didn't list him. Too bad. Good post. Here's mine:

    http://www.ourtownbookreviews.com/2019/04/characters-i-never-want-to-meet.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of sympathy for Bertha. It sounded like she'd been violent and unstable for most if not all of her life, and back then there basically weren't any effective treatments for mental illness (or whatever was going on with her) at all. I still wouldn't want to meet her, though!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Nice choices. I'd have to add the senators and Jim Wheeler (I believe was his name) from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The ones that bought and sold the elections. They were nasty pieces of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roald Dahl was good at creating those type of vicious adult characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roald Dahl was the king of weird and warped characters... good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on Roald Dahl. Miss Trunchbull was a terror.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment