Wednesday Weekly Blogging: Books that need prequels


I'm excited! Long and Short Reviews is offering a weekly blogging challenge...and one of my New Year's Resolutions was to get back to blogging on a more consistent basis. So, it's a win-win! You can see the list of blogging topics for the year here.

Today's topic was "Books that Need a Prequel" -- those books that you enjoy but you would love to read about what happened BEFORE the story began. There are some famous ones in book and movie form: The Hobbit is a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy; the "new" Star Wars movies were a prequel to the - ahem - "real" Star Wars; and Bob and I are currently reading Dead Man's Walk, the prequel for Lonesome Dove.

A few books come immediately to mind that I would love to read a full prequel of - Harry Potter, of course, is the main one. Who wouldn't love to hear about the founding of Hogwarts or see James and Lilly fall in love?

I would love to find out how Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Rigs got started....and some more about the ymbrynes. If you've not read this series, you are in for a treat.

Another one I would love to discover the pre-story of is Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. I'm excited to discover she has a sequel coming out this year, but I would love to find out how the circus got started. I would also like to see more of what led to Prospero and Alexander's competition and animosity...it seems like there is more there than just a friendly competition.

What are some books you would like to see a prequel to?

Comments

  1. Harry Potter was on my list, too!

    Yes, I think it would be really interesting to see how everything began in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children universe. There are still a lot of unanswered questions about how everything works there.

    My post this week: http://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-books-that-need-a-prequel/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with Harry Potter, too! Ooh, I never thought about The Night Circus though. Hmm, interesting.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid Harry Potter came to my mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know, I've never read the Miss Peregrine's books? My kid was bored to tears by them, so I was never interested... now I wonder...

    Definitely Harry Potter, though. Also never read your final suggestion either. Clearly I'm under-reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read a Miss Peregrine book. I always thought the Series of Unfortunate Events books could've used a prequel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chose Harry Potter as one of mine, too! There is just so much potential to give more backstories to all of them! I would get my grabby hands on them so fast!

    I haven't read the other two you suggested but I need to give them a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment