Stupid Hackers

Today someone hacked my Hotmail account and sent this email to EVERYONE on my contact list:

Hello,

How are you doing? Hope all is well with you and your family, I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to England for a Seminar/conference.

I need a favor from you as soon as you receive this email, I misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money, and other valuable things were kept. Can you urgently assist me with a soft loan of $2,600 US Dollars to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home. You are the only one I can trust with this, please can this be between us? You have my word; I will refund you as soon as I return.

I will appreciate whatever you can afford, I'll pay you back as soon as I return I promise, Let me know if you can assist, to enable me send you the details to use in sending the money through western union.


Uh... okay... so most people in my contact list are going to know that I'm here... not in England. Why are people so ... so.... stupid? And, to make things worse, the hacker had CHANGED MY PASSWORD AND SECRET ANSWER!!
chanel handbags
Microsoft was great, though. I went to Windows Live Help and they were able to verify I was who I said I was and I was able to get in and reset my password and change my question. While I was there, I noticed that my "alternate email address" had been changed as well... so I'm assuming I now have the hacker's email address. Bob has offered to email him and tell him "what a sorry SOB" he is... I'm leaning more to turning it over to the police.

What think you? Or...should I put it here so EVERYONE can email him? I think we need a poll.....

Comments

  1. Most of us also know that you speak English as a first language and wouldn't say things like:

    Can you urgently assist me

    AND you would never, ever misuse commas like:

    where my money, and other valuable things

    and

    can afford, I'll pay you back as soon as I return I promise, Let me know if you can assist, to enable

    Too bad we don't have some sort of reverse virus to send him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should do both. But then, maybe the email you got is also some poor soul that got hacked. Turn it over to the police. And I agree with Marianne. Anyone who knows you well would know you hadn't written that. It's not your "voice" < G > and all the grammatical mistakes were a dead giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got one of the emails yesterday and totally freaked out because I knew you'd been hacked. But I was afraid to try emailing you because I wasn't sure if I'd be emailing you or the hacker!

    I would so turn it over to the cops. Or better yet, the FBI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE turn it over to the police. I've become much more sensitive to this kind of scam since both my parents became victims of Alzheimers.
    Their generation is not as savvy as ours to these appeals. You may not be worried about your friends being ripped off, but you can bet you're not the only they've hacked this way.
    After all, they wouldn't do it if it didn't pay off, would they? And they won't stop until they are caught. Thanks for doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment