Writing Style Meme

A writing meme I stole from Marianne who swiped it from Melissa:

What's Your Writing Style?


1. Are you a "pantser" or a "plotter?"

A pantser to be sure. I might start out with a couple of characters (and sometimes with just one), mix and stir and see what happens.

2. Detailed character sketches or "their character will be revealed to me as a I write"?

No details (except for maybe hair and eye color and that's just so I don't get confused) :-)

3. Do you know your characters' goals, motivations, and conflicts before you start writing or is that something else you discover only after you start writing? LOL.... I don't know anything about my characters until they tell me.


4. Books on plotting - useful or harmful?

I don't think they hurt, as long as you remember they are helps... not the be all of writing. Don't go crazy with them.

5. Are you a procrastinator or does the itch to write keep at you until you sit down and work?

Very much a procrastinator. Just as Marianne!

6. Do you write in short bursts of creative energy, or can you sit down and write for hours at a time?

It depends on if I'm "in the zone" or not. When I'm "in the zone" I can go for hours.
If I'm not, sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get a word out.

7. Are you a morning or afternoon writer?

Whenever I find time.

8. Do you write with music/the noise of children/in a cafe or other public setting, or do you need complete silence to concentrate?

I can't concentrate WITH complete silence. It drives me crazy. I think it comes from always hearing my grandmother's soap operas while I was doing homework as a kid. Now, if I don't have something to "tune out," I can't work.

9. Computer or longhand? (or typewriter?)

I prefer working on the computer, because I can type faster than I can write longhanded. However, there are so many times when I'm NOT near a computer, so I've started taking a notebook with me so I can write wherever I am. Got to steal those minutes when I can.

10. Do you know the ending before you type Chapter One?

Sometimes I don't know the ending until I type it!

11. Does what's selling in the market influence how and what you write?

I write what I like to read. Hopefully somebody will like it well enough to publish it. If not, I've enjoyed the process and the journey.

12. Editing - love it or hate it?

I don't mind it too much.... sometimes :-)

Comments