Feast One Hundred and Twenty Two

I completely forgot today is Friday! We woke up to a phone crisis (no dial tone), then had to work on the motorhome/guest cottage... it's where some of our kids will be staying when they get here next week (have I mentioned all the kids will be here for Christmas??? woo-hoo!)

Anyway... I'm now on hold for "the next available operator"... and I'm returning THEIR call. At least I have a dial tone now to do so. And, I was bloghopping as I waited (might as well get some enjoyment) and somebody said "Friday" on their post and I was like.."OMG.. it's Friday!

So... without further rambling, here's the latest edition of Friday's Feast.


Appetizer
What was your very first job with a paycheck? I did babysitting from the time I was twelve, but my first regular paycheck was the summer I graduated high school. I worked with the Board of Education and was a teacher's aide for summer school. It was so neat. I was working with a little girl on her math (probably about second or third grade... I don't remember now. It was AGES ago!) Anyway, she was having trouble learning to tell time (this was way before digital clocks... when you actually had to look at hands to figure out the time). She kept messing up "a quarter after_____." Invariably, "a quarter after two" was 2:25. I was talking to her about it and her logic was impeccable. She KNEW a quarter was 25 cents, so it made sense that a quarter after two, or three, or eight, was 2:25, or 3:25, or 8:25. We had a quick lesson on fractions.


Soup
Did you ever lose something really important to you? When I was six, I lost a doll I'd gotten for my third birthday. Her name was Cathy (after the teenage girl who gave her to me) and she was a soft doll with a plastic face. Pink... looked like she was dressed all in bunting... and I slept with her EVERY night. I think she must've fallen out of the car or something. I think I cried myself to sleep every night for a month.

Salad
What is the best Christmas present you ever received? I've received so many great presents over the years, but I think the best Christmas present is going to be this year's... all the kids are going to be home for Christmas. I couldn't wish for anything better than that.

Main Course
Tell about a favorite "hang out" place for you and your friends when you were in high school. It would have to be The Varsity (no, not the one in Atlanta... we had our OWN version of it down here.) They had the coolest drink: sour ice. It wasn't really a drink, but shaved ice with salt and lemon. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

Dessert
Name something that always brings a smile to your face. My husband and the way he "helps" me up into the truck... lol

Comments

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Your tutoring story is funny :) It's so interesting to see how kids' brains work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww...sounds like you have a sweet hubby!!
    and How fun to have all of your family to gather for the Holiday!!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost a plastic ring when I was six. I don't think I'll ever get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Soup reminded me of a doll my little sister once lost on me while I was in school. It brought back memories as well as a revelation.

    It was a Cabbage Patch was back in the '80's when they were selling for $100's of dollars as they were the most wanted Christmas toy of the season. My boyfriend worked in a store and was able to snatch one for me.

    My Mom would let my 4 Year Old sister play with the doll when I was in school. She lost it.

    My daughter is now 4 and guess what my little sister bought her for a Christmas gift? Yep - a cabbage patch doll that looks almost just like the one I had!!

    I wonder if my little sister remembers or knows the co-relation of how odd and deja vu this is? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment