Green Sister 19

"Okay," she said, after a long moment studying him. "Let's go. I don't want to get there too late. I have no idea how long she will stay at the lab, but if we wait til after office hours, there will be no chance of getting to see her tonight."

They walked back to the car and nearly collided as they both headed to the driver's side.

"Oh, no, buckaroo. You are not going to be one of those 'but the man always drives' kinda guy, are you? Cause I'm telling you right now... I am NOT giving up control of this car. It's my name on the contract and my responsibility."

Mark held up his arms in mock surrender as he backed off. "I was just going to open the door for you. I know it's old-fashioned, but Gran..."

"What is it with you and your grandmother?" Janna grumbled as she grudgingly stood back and allowed him to open the door.

After Mark returned to the passenger side and got in, he said, "I guess I do talk about her a lot. She was the most important part of my life for so long, it's a way of keeping her alive, I guess. My folks were killed in a boating accident when I was just a baby and Gran took me in and raised me. She died a couple of years ago and it just helps me remember her."

Janna was, for once, at a loss for words. "I'm sorry," she finally said, abashed at her flippancy.

"Don't be." Mark turned in his seat and brushed his hand against hers. "I have only good memories of her and she lived to see me achieve my dreams... or most of them." He turned away and fastened his seat belt. "Now, I believe we have a few 'miles to go before we sleep'."

After a glance at him, Janna cranked up the car and pulled carefully back on the road.

Comments