Green Sister 18

"Okay." Janna stopped and turned to face him. "What did Ann do to you that was so terrible you felt like you had to sneak in my car?" And I still want to figure out HOW you did it without me noticing.

"You'll just have to trust me on this. You do not need to go see her by yourself. Especially since she's never forgiven you for that incident in high school."

"Forgiven ME? I wasn't the one who..."

"I know that and you know that... but, in Ann's mind it was your fault. And, when Ann gets a thought in her mind it doesn't let go. It's like a fish in a round bowl...it keeps swimming but just goes around in circles."

"Well, I don't know. But, as long as you're here, I guess I don't have any choice but to take you with me. There were some questions I wanted to ask her, but I can't imagine a grown woman holding something that happened in high school (even though it wasn't my fault) against me to the extent that it would be dangerous to talk to her. Besides, it would be nice to have company." She was sure there was a grudging tone to her voice. She hated to admit that... especially to Mark, standing here with a slight grin on his face. And, she hated that she noticed how it lit up his eyes. Funny, they weren't just brown as she had always thought, but more of a hazel. Today, they almost looked green.

With an effort, she pulled her gaze away from his and shook her head. There was nothing at all romantic about this trip. He had followed her, for heaven's sake. And snuck in her car. And, her thoughts suddenly flew to the manuscript sitting in her back seat, who knew what else he had been doing? She wrapped her arms around herself as she felt a sudden chill, despite the heat of the air around her.

Comments