Dreams are Strange Things

I had a very weird dream last night. I was reading a friend's blog and she had created a story using the people in our critique group. I don't remember all the details, but the part I do remember is "Judy was carrying hemp... the rope, not the weed. The sides had been burned off so the rope would be smoother to carry." Where do these things come from???

I've had dreams before that I would swear upon first waking up would make a great story. Then I start working with the idea and go.... "huh?" I know there are writers who get their ideas from dreams, but I don't think I'm one of them. I tend to see or read about a situation and go "what if?" Or...I have a story starter or a prompt of some kind and I can write my fingers off (most of the time). How do you get your ideas? From dreams? From your life? From what you read?

Speaking of prompts... it's Friday. Gotta get to my critique group and find out what our fearless leader has for us this week.

Happy Writing.

Comments